Yes or No?

You probably all know I would love to have a dog, and that I once wrote I would take one as soon as we moved to a bigger house. The bigger house isn't here yet, but the dog wish is, and today my boyfriend and I impulsively decided to go to the local shelter and see if they had a doggy fitting for our situation.

It turned out they had. A very calm and shy girl found alongside the road. She has no idea what cuddling is, but really looked at me with those sad 'I need love' eyes. The shelter people suspect she was a farm dog, always outside and never had much attention :(.

Our biggest concern was if she could go together  with our kitties, because they are most important to me.  The people at the shelter said she sort of ignores cats, so this would be something that could work.

She's a smooth fox terrier, I actually had one of those when I was a kid. She's small in size and she's white with brown/black spots. It's silly, because if someone would ask me to pick a dog breed I like, it would never be a fox terrier. But somehow this girl affected me...

We have to let the shelter know on Sunday if we want to give her a home or not. And I can't seem to decide. Yes or No? My biggest fear is that my Kitties feel threatened in their own home and won't like it at all. I don't want to do that to them :(! 

But I also really want to take in this poor thing and give her a happy life. She would be with me whenever I leave the house, and I love that idea. She's also a reason to leave the house, something I do to little. As much as I love being curled up on the couch surrounded by my kitty companions, I would also love to play outside :).

She might not be the best 'beginners' dog, not knowing how to play and cuddle. I think I have a challenge on my hand in learning her to trust me and bring out the dog in her. Can I do that? My sister in law gave me a stack of 'Cesar Millan' books that might be helpful.

I guess what I want to ask from my readers, is if someone has experience with shy dogs, and also taking in a dog while already having cats. Do they eventually get used to each other? And maybe you have other ideas that would help me make a decision? What to do if one part of you screams no, while the other screams yes?

9 comments :

  1. My dog, Sandy, is a rescue dog and she also had never been taught how to love or play. I also have a cat, Ashleen, who is the love of my life. When I first brought Sandy home she didn't have a clue what a cat was and was largely uninterested. Ash soon picked up on this, realised there was no threat and now I occasionally catch them kissing each other when they think I'm not looking! Sandy is still not interested in toys. She won't play with a ball or stick and looks at chew toys like they're little, green alien men which is a bit sad. On the plus side she quickly learned how to cuddle and loves nothing more than snuggling up on the sofa to watch a film. I'd say go for it.

    Tids xxx

    http://olliethehamster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all,what a cute story! <3

    I don't have any animal right now,but I have some friends that had cats and addopted a local shelter's dog.At first they have some problems,but now cats and dogs live in peace each other :)

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had friends with the same situation. At first they didn't like each other, but they got over it! I hope it goes well. I love dogs SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat leuk joh, dat jullie een hond krijgen. Een hond in huis is zoooo gezellig. Maar volgens mij is juist een onzekere hond het lastigst om te rehabiliteren (verwoed Cesar Millan kijker hier). Misschien wel heel erg moeilijk om van dit hondje een knuffelhondje te maken. Knuffelen kan namelijk pas als ze de juiste "stage of mind" heeft en dat hebben onzekere honden zelden. Cesar heeft een keer gezegd in een show: kies een hond die bij je past, niet de hond die je het zieligst en liefst vindt want dat gaat beslist verkeerd. Maar ja, als je in die vochtige bruine ogen kijkt, kan ik me voorstellen dat je gewoon verkocht bent... Maar onze hond is ook erg onzeker en het is echt Heel Moeilijk om hem te negeren of te corrigeren in plaats van hem gewoon lekker naast me op de bank te laten springen om te knuffelen. Lastige keuze hoor, ik ga niet zeggen of je het wel of niet zou moeten doen. Je kunt zelf het beste inschatten of je het aankunt of niet. Marieke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kan je het hondje niet een avondje op proef laten logeren? Soms kan dat wel en zo weet het asiel ook zeker dat wanneer je een keuze maakt, het ook de juiste is! Of doen ze dat niet bij dit asiel?

    Dat is het enige dat ik kan bedenken, ik heb zelf nooit honden of katten gehad dus hoe ze op elkaar reageren durf ik niet te zeggen maar het lijkt mij hetzelfde als met mensen. Karakters kunnen botsen dus zou ik een proefdagje/nachtje aanvragen.

    Liefs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the dog does not chase cats around, which the shelter tells you she doesn't, then the cats will learn themselves that they have nothing to fear from her. As for not knowing how to cuddle, just bring her home, give her a nice bed and some food, and leave her be. It will take a while for her to get to trusting you but she will come around. Unlike feral cats, who may never become cuddly if you adopt them too late in life, it is in a dog's nature to want to be close to others - whether dogs or people. I've had shy dogs and rambunctious dogs and always cats too, and it's always worked out. Also, is this a kill shelter? meaning, do they kill the dogs that don't get adopted? if it isn't, i'm sure you could bring the dog back if it doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to thank everyone for the feedback. I still haven't worked out an answer but your stories did help me. We don't have kill shelters in the Netherlands as far as I know {thank god}, and the people who work there told me right away that when taking a dog home, there is a try out period of 14 days. She can always come back, but I don't want to take a dog with the intention of bringing her back after 14 days, so I still want to be fairly certain about my decision. I think this girl would be suitable for me, but not for our situation. That being said, I have always dreamed of a French or English bulldog when the time was right, though I don't want to discriminate the cute shelter dog only for not being the correct breed... sigh... I don't know any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lastige keuze zeg... Ik kan me nog herinneren dat wij op zoek waren naar een katje in het asiel. Uiteindelijk hebben wij toch ervoor gekozen om een ander katje uit te zoeken wat goed bij ons zou passen. Hoe moeilijk dat soms ook is, zeker als je de beestjes in het asiel hebt gezien en/of vast gehouden. Je wilt ze toch graag een fijn thuis geven.
    Als ik het zo lees, dan denk ik dat het belangrijk is dat jullie je er goed bij voelen. En knuffelen met een hondje wat nu nog zo onzeker is... ik heb daar geen ervaring mee, maar je weet niet of het knuffelen ooit kan en je hebt natuurlijk ook nog je katten die misschien wel niet met het hondje overweg kunnen zoals je al schreef. Waarschijnlijk krijgt het hondje in ieder geval vast ergens een fijn thuis of het nu bij jullie is of straks bij iemand anders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hoi,
    wel een beetje ervaring met honden. Verlegen honden hebben een duidelijke 'leider' nodig. Dat denk ik wel. Lief maar duidelijk. Onze eerste familiehond was een pupdie echt alles deed wat niet goed schijnt te zijn: weglopen bij ons, ons negeren, angstig enz enz. Ik heb dat gewoon genegeerd en heb hem rustig laten wennen aan de wereld. En hij is een evenwichtig hondje geworden. Een terrier nb! Onze huidige pup was ook weer angstig, onzeker.Ik volg mijn gevoel en het komt gewoon goed. Maar ik ga nooit mee in hun onzekerheid.
    Buldoggen zijn zooooo leuk (mijn zoon wil altijd een bulldozer..= buldog) maar ik heb me er een beetje in verdiept en ze hebben ook zooooo vaak wat en kunnen niet mee met lange wandelingen. Warmte is niet fijn en zo zijn er wat dingen. Is prima als je daarvoor kiest hoor!
    Vertouw vooral op je zelf en Cesar is inderdaad super interessant om te zien! zo waar.
    xx

    ReplyDelete